Evolution (進化 Shinka; Dub: Digivolution) is the process by which Digimon grow and develop. In the course of evolution, a Digimon typically experiences an increase in their Evolution Stage, transforming into a stronger Digimon species. All Digimon naturally undergo permanent evolution at a relatively slow scale by way of slow intake of data. However, in partnership with a human Tamer, evolution can typically be artificially triggered by way of the human's emotions or energy, or through the use of one of numerous types of evolution item, in combination with a Digivice or similar device to temporarily evolve the partner Digimon to a higher level. Due to the influence of the Dark Area, the evolutionary trees of any Digimon have been altered, enabling them to evolve into many different forms.
Types of Evolution
In addition to referring to the natural Digimon process, Evolution can refer to the temporary "artificial" process by which a Child Digimon evolves to the Adult level when partnered with a human Tamer.
- Agumon (Adventure/Savers) → Greymon/Geo Greymon
- Gabumon → Garurumon
- Piyomon (Adventure/Savers) → Birdramon/Aquilamon
- Tentomon → Kabuterimon
- Palmon → Togemon
- Gomamon → Ikkakumon
- Patamon → Angemon
- Plotmon → Tailmon
- V-mon → XV-mon
- Armadimon → Ankylomon
- Wormmon → Stingmon
- Hawkmon → Aquilamon
- Terriermon (Adventure/Tamers) → Galgomon
- Renamon → Kyuubimon
- Guilmon → Growmon
- Lalamon → Sunflowmon
- Gaomon → Gaogamon
- Falcomon → Peckmon
- Kamemon → Gawappamon
- Pawn Chessmon (Black & White) → Knight Chessmon (Black & White)
- Kudamon → Reppamon
Dark Evolution (暗黒進化 Ankoku Shinka, Dub: Dark Digivolution) is a variation of evolution which is usually triggered by the negative emotions of a Tamer being so great that they have a negative effect on their partner Digimon, initiating evolution to a "darker", generally uncontrollable Digimon. In Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals Lopmon Dark Evolved to Wendimon through rage and hatred stemming from its loneliness (though the English dub states it was due to a virus). In Digimon Adventure tri. Meicoomon Dark Evolves to Meicrackmon: Vicious Mode because of the infection whilst Nyaromon Dark Evolves and Warp Evolves at the same time to Ofanimon Falldown Mode, though Toei Animations website for tri. indicated it actually evolved through each of its stages one by one and then Dark Evolved as Angewomon. In Digimon ReArise the Spiral are able to force Digimon to undergo Dark Evolution after possessing them. In Digimon Adventure:, the miasma corrupts both Taichi and MetalGreymon and force MetalGreymon to dark evolve into Mugendramon.
- Greymon → Skull Greymon
- Agumon → Metal Greymon Virus
- Lopmon → Wendimon
- Megalo Growmon → Megidramon
- Shine Greymon → Shine Greymon Ruin Mode
- Growmon → Skull Greymon
- Meicoomon → Meicrackmon: Vicious Mode
- Nyaromon or Angewomon → Ofanimon Falldown Mode
- Tyranomon → Skull Greymon
- Stiffilmon → Rasenmon: Fury Mode
- Metal Greymon: Alterous Mode → Mugendramon
Mutation (変異 Hen'i) is a process similar to evolution which occurs on Infected Digimon, which may cause the Digimon to develop new mutant form and/or progress to the next evolution stage. The Digimon are generally uncontrollable.
- Meicoomon → Meicoomon (Mutated)
- Meicoomon (Mutated) → Meicrackmon: Vicious Mode
- Meicoomon → Meicrackmon: Vicious Mode
- Meicrackmon: Vicious Mode → Raguelmon
- Metal Greymon → War Greymon
Super Evolution (超進化 Chou Shinka; Dub: Super Digivolution) constitutes two different methods of evolution in different canons. The English dub only referred to it as "Digivolution" until Digimon ReArise.
Super Evolution (Adventure)
- Greymon → Metal Greymon (Courage)
- Garurumon → Were Garurumon (Friendship)
- Kabuterimon → Atlur Kabuterimon (Knowledge)
- Birdramon → Garudamon (Love)
- Togemon → Lilymon (Purity)
- Ikkakumon → Zudomon (Faith)
- Tailmon → Angewomon (Light)
- Angemon → Holy Angemon (Hope)
Super Evolution (Xros Wars)
In Digimon Xros Wars and Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time, Super Evolution (超進化 Chou Shinka) evolves a Digimon of indeterminate level to a stronger "future" form using a Xros Loader.
- Shoutmon → Omega Shoutmon
- Metal Greymon → Zeke Greymon
- Damemon → Tuwarmon
- Gumdramon → Arresterdramon
- Psychemon → Astamon
- Opossummon → Cho·Hakkaimon
- Dracumon → Yaksamon
Warp Evolution (ワープ進化 Wāpu Shinka, Dub: Warp Digivolution) is the process of rapid evolution skipping at least one level. This is most commonly seen as evolving from Child or Adult straight to the Ultimate level, but can also evolve a Child to Perfect.
- Agumon → War Greymon (Courage)
- Gabumon → Metal Garurumon (Friendship)
- Leomon → Saber Leomon
- Angemon → Seraphimon
- Impmon → Beelzebumon/Beelzebumon Blast Mode
- Lopmon → Andiramon
- Monodramon → Cyberdramon
Jogress Evolution (ジョグレス進化 Jyoguresu Shinka; also spelled Jogres Evolution; Dub: DNA Digivolution) fuses two or more Digimon of any level to evolve into a single merged Digimon, usually of a higher level. Jogress is a portmanteau of "joint" and "progress". Within the franchise, however, some Fusions have been referred as Jogress Evolutions, but the difference still holds. The English recently refers to both Jogress and Fusion as the combined "DNA digivolution", but occasionally differentiate between the terms.
- XV-mon + Stingmon → Paildramon
- Stingmon + XV-mon → Dinobeemon
- Aquilamon + Tailmon → Silphymon
- Ankylomon + Angemon → Shakkoumon
- Orgemon + Devimon → Skull Satamon
- Kuwagamon + Cockatrimon → Megadramon
- Megadramon + Jyureimon → Deathmon
- Angewomon + Lady Devimon → Mastemon
Warp DNA Digivolution
Warp DNA Digivolution is a dub-only type of the evolution. Two Digimon DNA digivolve together (Jogress) and Warp Digivolve together at the same time to reach a Digimon of a higher level.
- Agumon + Gabumon → Omnimon
- Veemon + Stingmon → Imperialdramon Dragon Mode
- Bearmon + Guilmon → Gallantmon
- Greymon + Garurumon → Omnimon
Fusion (合体 Gattai; Dub: DNA Digivolution) is a term of Jogress Evolution that two or more Digimon to into a single Digimon of the same level. Within the franchise, however, some Fusions have been referred as Jogress Evolutions, but the difference still holds. The English recently refers to both Jogress and Fusion as the combined "DNA digivolution", but occasionally differentiate between the terms.
- War Greymon + Metal Garurumon → Omegamon
- Ofanimon: Falldown Mode + Raguelmon → Ordinemon
- Apollomon + Dianamon → Grace Novamon
- Chimairamon + Mugendramon → Millenniumon
- Piemon + Vamdemon → Voltobautamon
- Alphamon + Ouryumon → Alphamon Ouryuken
- Blitz Greymon + Cres Garurumon → Omegamon Alter-S
- Bantyo Leomon + Darkdramon → Chaosmon
- Rosemon + Lotusmon → Rafflesimon
- Durandamon + Bryweludramon → Ragna Lordmon
- Slayerdramon + Breakdramon → Examon
- Moon Millenniumon + Chimairamon → Millenniumon
Partition (パーティション Paatishon) is the process of splitting a Jogressed Perfect or Ultimate back into its individual component Digimon.
Armor Evolution (アーマー進化 Aamaa Shinka; Dub: Armor Digivolution) evolves a Child or Adult Digimon to the Armor level by using a Digimental. The command used by the Chosen Children is "Digimental Up!" (ディジメンタルアップ Dejimentaru Appu; Dub: "Digi-Armor Energize!").
- V-mon + Digimental of Courage → Fladramon
- V-mon + Digimental of Friendship → Lighdramon
- V-mon + Digimental of Hope → Sagittarimon
- V-mon + Digimental of Miracles → Magnamon
- Hawkmon + Digimental of Love → Holsmon
- Hawkmon + Digimental of Purity → Shurimon
- Hawkmon + Digimental of Friendship → Rinkmon
- Armadimon + Digimental of Knowledge → Digmon
- Armadimon + Digimental of Faith → Submarimon
- Armadimon + Digimental of Love → Pteranomon
- Patamon + Digimental of Hope → Pegasmon
- Patamon + Digimental of Light → Manbomon
- Tailmon + Digimental of Light → Nefertimon
- Tailmon + Digimental of Knowledge → Butterflymon
- Terriermon + Digimental of Fate → Rapidmon Armor
- Wormmon + Digimental of Kindness → Puchiemon
Ultimate Evolution (究極進化 Kyuukyoku Shinka; Digimon Adventure 02 Dub: Mega Digivolution; Digimon Savers Dub: Double Warp Digivolution) is the process of evolution from the Perfect level (Digimon Adventure tri.), a Jogressed Perfect state (Digimon Adventure 02) or the Child level (Digimon Savers) to the Ultimate level.
- Angewomon → Holydramon
- Paildramon → Imperialdramon
- Agumon → Shine Greymon
- Gaomon → Mirage Gaogamon
- Lalamon → Rosemon
- Falcomon → Ravmon
- Kudamon → Sleipmon
- Zudomon → Vikemon
- Lillymon → Rosemon
- Atlur Kabuterimon → Herakle Kabuterimon
- Garudamon → Hououmon
- Holy Angemon → Seraphimon
- Metal Greymon → War Greymon
- Were Garurumon → Metal Garurumon
Mode Change (モード チェンジ Mōdo Chenji) is the process by which a Digimon shifts into another mode of the same species.
- Imperialdramon → Fighter Mode and then Paladin Mode
- Beelzebumon → Blast Mode
- Dukemon → Crimson Mode (with or without Grani)
- Belphemon Sleep Mode → Rage Mode
- Omegamon → Merciful Mode
- Metal Greymon → Metal Greymon: Alterous Mode
- Were Garurumon → Were Garurumon: Sagittarius Mode
Matrix Evolution (Perfect)
Matrix Evolution (マトリックス エボリューション Matorikkusu Eboryūshon; Dub: Matrix Digivolution) is the process by which a Digimon evolves from the Child or Adult level to Perfect using a Blue Card.
Matrix Evolution (Ultimate)
Matrix Evolution (マトリックス エボリューション Matorikkusu Eboryūshon; Dub: Biomerge Digivolution) is evolution to the Ultimate level achieved by fusing with the Digimon's Tamer partner.
- Matsuda Takato + Guilmon → Dukemon
- Lee Jianliang + Terriermon → Saint Galgomon
- Makino Ruki + Renamon → Sakuyamon
- Akiyama Ryo + Cyberdramon → Justimon
Spirit Evolution (スピリット エボリューション Supiritto Eboryūshon; Dub when a Beast Spirit is used: Beast Spirit Evolution) is the process of evolution from any level (or from a human) into a Human or Beast Hybrid Digimon using a single Legendary Spirit.
- Kanbara Takuya + Human Spirit of Fire → Agnimon
- Kanbara Takuya + Beast Spirit of Fire → Vritramon
- Shamamon + Beast Spirit of Fire → Vritramon
- Minamoto Kouji + Human Spirit of Light → Wolfmon
- Minamoto Kouji + Beast Spirit of Light → Garummon
- Himi Tomoki + Human Spirit of Ice → Chackmon
- Himi Tomoki + Beast Spirit of Ice → Blizzarmon
- Orimoto Izumi + Human Spirit of Wind → Fairimon
- Orimoto Izumi + Beast Spirit of Wind → Shutumon
- Shibayama Junpei + Human Spirit of Thunder → Blitzmon
- Shibayama Junpei + Beast Spirit of Thunder → Bolgmon
- Kimura Kouichi + Human Spirit of Darkness → Lowemon
- Kimura Kouichi + Beast Spirit of Darkness → Kaiser Leomon
Slide Evolution (Hybrid)
Slide Evolution (スライド エボリューション Suraido Eboryūshon) is the transitional process in which a Hybrid Digimon activates another Legendary Spirit and evolves directly into another Hybrid Digimon without reverting to their base form; this has been only seen to have been done between the Human and Beast spirits of the same element.
- Agnimon ↔ Vritramon
- Wolfmon ↔ Garummon
- Blitzmon ↔ Bolgmon
- Fairimon ↔ Shutumon
- Chackmon ↔ Blizzarmon
- Lowemon ↔ Kaiser Leomon
- Duskmon ↔ Velgmon
- Arbormon ↔ Petaldramon
- Ranamon ↔ Calmaramon
- Mercuremon ↔ Sephirothmon
- Grottomon ↔ Gigasmon
Slide Evolution (other)
Slide Evolution (スライド エボリューション Suraido Eboryūshon) is the transitional process in which a Digimon with access to multiple forms, either of the same or of different levels, switches into one of their other forms.
Double Spirit Evolution
Double Spirit Evolution (ダブル スピリット エボリューション Daburu Supiritto Eboryūshon; Dub: Fusion Evolution) is the process of evolution from any level to a Fusion Form Hybrid Digimon using any two Legendary Spirits of the same element.
- Kanbara Takuya + (Human Spirit of Fire + Beast Spirit of Fire) → Aldamon
- Minamoto Kouji + (Human Spirit of Light + Beast Spirit of Light) → Beowulfmon
Hyper Spirit Evolution
Hyper Spirit Evolution (ハイパー・スピリット・エボリューション Haipā Supiritto Eboryūshon; Dub:Unified Spirit Evolution) is evolution from any level into a Transcendent Form Hybrid using ten Legendary Spirits in certain combinations. In Digimon ReArise a Vritramon was able to perform Hyper Spirit Evolution without using any Spirits, simply treating it as regular Evolution.
- Kanbara Takuya + (Human Spirit of Fire + Beast Spirit of Fire + Human Spirit of Wind + Beast Spirit of Wind + Human Spirit of Ice + Beast Spirit of Ice + Human Spirit of Earth + Beast Spirit of Earth + Human Spirit of Wood + Beast Spirit of Wood) → Kaiser Greymon
- Minamoto Kouji + (Human Spirit of Light + Beast Spirit of Light + Human Spirit of Thunder + Beast Spirit of Thunder + Human Spirit of Darkness + Beast Spirit of Darkness + Human Spirit of Water + Beast Spirit of Water + Human Spirit of Steel + Beast Spirit of Steel) → Magna Garurumon
- Vritramon → Kaiser Greymon
Ancient Spirit Evolution
Ancient Spirit Evolution (エンチェント スピリット エボリューション Enchento Supiritto Eboryūshon) is the process of evolution from any level or from a human into Susanoomon, using all twenty Legendary Spirits. The process can entail multiple base individuals evolving, with as few as two and as many as five seen.
- Kanbara Takuya + Minamoto Kouji + Orimoto Izumi + Himi Tomoki + Shibayama Junpei + (Human Spirit of Fire + Beast Spirit of Fire + Human Spirit of Light + Beast Spirit of Light + Human Spirit of Thunder + Beast Spirit of Thunder + Human Spirit of Wind + Beast Spirit of Wind + Human Spirit of Ice + Beast Spirit of Ice + Human Spirit of Earth + Beast Spirit of Earth + Human Spirit of Wood + Beast Spirit of Wood + Human Spirit of Water + Beast Spirit of Water + Human Spirit of Steel + Beast Spirit of Steel + Human Spirit of Darkness + Beast Spirit of Darkness) → Susanoomon
Perfect Evolution (完全進化 Kanzen Shinka; dub: Warp Digivolution) is a process of evolution used by Child or Adult level Digimon to reach their Perfect forms.
- Piyomon/Aquilamon → Garudamon
- Agumon/Geo Greymon → Rise Greymon
- Gaomon/Gaogamon → Mach Gaogamon
- Lalamon/Sunflowmon → Lilamon
- Falcomon/Peckmon → Yatagaramon
- Kudamon → Tyilinmon
- Pawn Chessmon (Black) → Rook Chessmon
- Pawn Chessmon (White) → Bishop Chessmon
- Gawappamon → Shawujinmon
Pseudo Evolution (擬似進化 Giji Shinka) is a form of evolution using artificial Digisoul or other medium to evolve a Digimon.
Hyper Bio Evolution
Known in the Savers dub as Bio Hybrid Digivolution.
Hyper Bio Evolution
Hyper Bio Evolution (ハイパー バイオ エボリューション Haipā Baio Eboryūshon) is the process by which a human with Digimon data infused into their DNA evolves into their respective Digimon of the Armor level. The command used in the dub is "Bio Hybrid DNA, Charge!"
Hyper Bio Extra Evolution
Hyper Bio Extra Evolution (ハイパー バイオ エキスツラ エボリューション Haipā Baio Ekisutura Eboryūshon) is a process by which a human with Digimon data infused into their DNA evolves into their respective Digimon of the Ultimate level. The command used in the dub is "Bio Hybrid DNA, Full Charge!"
Burst Evolution (バースト エボリューション Bāsuto Eboryūshon) is a form of evolution similar to Blast Evolution and Mode Changing. An Ultimate Digimon is energised by a massive quantity of Digisoul to evolve into a more powerful variant of themselves, usually surrounded by an aura of energy. While in this form, the Digimon may burn up all of their energy and revert back to a Digitama, in this case, Shine Greymon: Ruin Mode revert back into Digitama when Marcus accidentally use the Dark Evolution. The command used is "Charge DigiSoul Burst!" (Dub: Charge! DNA Burst Mode).
- Shine Greymon → Shine Greymon Burst Mode or Shine Greymon Ruin Mode
- Mirage Gaogamon → Mirage Gaogamon Burst Mode
- Rosemon → Rosemon Burst Mode
- Ravmon → Ravmon Burst Mode
- Bancho Leomon → Bancho Leomon Burst Mode
Blast Evolution (ブラストエボリューション Burasuto Eboryūshon) is a temporary evolution induced for a short time, usually induced by a Tamer.
On the Digimon Pendulum X, there are two types of Blast Evolution. An orange XAI will allow the Digimon to evolve one level, while a green XAI will allow the Digimon to warp through levels. Ultimates who Blast Evolve transform into stronger Ultimates.
- Alphamon → Alphamon: Ouryuken
- Ouryumon → Dukemon (X-Antibody)
- Tiger Vespamon → Magnamon (X-Antibody)
- Metal Piranimon → Dynasmon (X-Antibody)
- Alphamon: Ouryuken → Death-X-mon
X-Evolution (ゼヴォリューション Zevoryūshon) is the process by which a Digimon evolves into their X-Antibody variant when modified by the X-Antibody. It's also the name for the evolution of any Digimon already modified by the X-Antibody.
Death X-Evolution (デクスリューション Dekusuevoryuushon) is a special evolution process discovered when experimenting with the Prototype Digimon "DORU Series" using the Death-X relic. It allows Digimon to increase their level while dying, forcing the X-Antibody to evolve the body in order to stay alive by consuming other Digicore.
DigiXros (デジクロス Dejikurosu; Dub: DigiFuse) is a process related to evolution in which multiple Digimon are merged into a single conglomerate entity usually under the control of one of the component Digimon, achieved by use of a Xros Loader or Darkness Loader held by its chosen General. It is similar to Jogress Evolution in that it involves multiple Digimon, here known as DigiXros Units combining into stronger forms, but also involves attributes of Mode Changing, allowing the Units to rearrange their data and became body-parts or weapons for the new form. The Darkness Loader also allows the Forced DigiXros (強制デジクロス Kyōsei DejiKurosu; Dub: Dark DigiFuse, but later Forced DigiFuse) where the participants aren't necessarily willing. The gestalt entity is usually controlled by the Unit with the most powerful soul, but especially for Forced DigiXros the lead Unit can change if one member's soul overpowers the others. Within the DigiQuartz, a Xros Loader can only fuse two of a Hunter's Digimon together; this particular modality is called Xros Up (クロスアップ Kurosu Appu).In Digimon All-Star Rumble Dorulumon is able to DigiXros to Shoutmon X4 not only without a Tamer or a Digivice, but without any other Digimon involved, as though it was a regular Evolution. It was even able to fight Shoutmon in this form. After defeating Shoutmon X5B Impmon was able to do the same thing, though in this instance it was given the power to do so by X5B. In addition, an evil sentient virus was able to clone Dorulumon, Shoutmon, and Beelzebumon and force DigiXros the clones into Shoutmon X5B without usage of a Digivice.
- Shoutmon → Shoutmon X2 (+ Ballistamon)
- Shoutmon X2 → Shoutmon X3 (+ Dorulumon)
- Shoutmon X3 → Shoutmon X4 (+ Starmons)
- Shoutmon X4 → Shoutmon X4K (+ Knightmon & Pawn Chessmons)
- Shoutmon X4 → Shoutmon X4B (+ Beelzebumon)
- Shoutmon X4 → Shoutmon X4S (+ Spadamon)
- Shoutmon X4 → Shoutmon X5 (+ Sparrowmon)
- Shoutmon X5 → Shoutmon X5B (+ Beelzebumon)
- Greymon → Metal Greymon (+ Mail Birdramon)
- Metal Greymon → Metal Greymon + Cyber Launcher (+ Cyberdramon)
- Metal Greymon → Decker Greymon (+ Deckerdramon)
- Omega Shoutmon → Shoutmon DX (+ Zeke Greymon)
- Shoutmon DX → Shoutmon X7 (+ Ballistamon, Dorulumon, Starmons, Sparrowmon)
- Shoutmon X7 → Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode (+ Xros Heart United Army)
AppGattai is the main evolution form of an Appmon which occurs when two compatible Appmon of the same Grade are fused by the use of an Appli Drive. When two Standard Grade Appmon aren't in harmony, AppGattai fails and the result is Sukasimon. When the same occurs with two Super Grade Appmon, the result is Damedamon.
- Gatchmon → DoGatchmon (+ Navimon or Tubumon)
- Dokamon → Dosukomon (+ Perorimon or Musclemon)
- Musimon → Mediamon (+ Recomon, MCmon or Dancemon)
- Hackmon → Raidramon (+ Protecmon or Pipomon)
- Onmon → Logimon (+ Gatchmon)
- Offmon → Logamon (+ Hackmon)
- DoGatchmon → Globemon (+ Timemon)
- Dosukomon → Oujamon (+ Coachmon)
- Mediamon → Entermon (+ Dreamon)
- Raidramon → Revivemon (+ Dezipmon)
- Logimon → Bootmon (+ Craftmon)
- Logamon → Shutmon (+ Timemon)
- Mienumon → Warudamon (+ Sakusimon)
- Globemon → Gaiamon (+ Charismon)
- Oujamon → Poseidomon (+ Beautymon)
- Entermon → Ouranosmon (+ Fakemon)
- Revivemon → Hadesmon (+ Biomon)
- Shutmon → Rebootmon (+ Bootmon)
- Warudamon → Deusmon (+ Cometmon)